Saturday, June 19, 2010

Friends?

I can remember many of the friends that I have had throughout my life. Some have been wonderful, wonderful friends... others not so much. And then there are the filler friends. Friends that just so happen to fall into your life right when you need them but you don't exactly care if they drift away.

I often wonder who my true friends are. Are they the ones that have always been in my life and always will be? You know they type. The one that was there when you got your first kiss and hugged you tight after your first break up. The friend that called on you to be her Maid of Honor in her wedding. The friend that sends you pictures of her family once a year. The friend that knows that you will be there no matter what and vice versa.

Or are they the ones that float away into that black abyss of life? The friends that teach you something about who you are, who you were, who you can become and who you might just end up being. The friend that will hold your hair back while you puke but still not tell you that they kissed your boyfriend. The friend that will drink coffee and beer with you but wont ever really talk to you like a human being. The friend that does everything in their power to make you jealous and paranoid but will always side with you in a fight. They weave in and out of your life. No agenda other than to just live their lives and let you live yours.

I don't call many people anymore. I don't hang out like I use to. It makes me wonder if I am the kind of friend that just blows away into her own life without a thought or care about the friends she leaves behind. I don't know what kind of friend I am but it sometimes keeps me up at night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way sometimes, the best friends you can have are your husband and your family, that is what I have come to learn. Cause no matter how hard you try other people drift in and out and by no fault to anyone communications end. We as humans get wrapped up in life and forget to communicate with the ones we once called friends.